Saturday, June 5, 2010

My experiences as a talent scout


Sometimes, the most interesting things in your life arrive with pure coincidence. I have started to work as a talent scout two years ago when I met one of my schoolmate's father who was the CEO of a sport management agency. He encouraged to get myself involve in this job since I am originary from Cameroon, and this country is full of talented soccer players as Samuel Eto'o fils, Achille Emana or the fantastic Roger Milla. Thanks to my connections I have been able to detect two fabulous players in formation in the Cameroonian team, "Cotonsport of Garoua". The two players were Jacques Zoua, 17 years old at the time and Aboubakar Vincent 16 years old. The first one was a member of the juniors national team and the second one belonged to the Cadet. With some partners, and thanks to the videos of some of the games Zoua played during the junior african cup, we were able to propose him to the swiss team, FC Basel which was immediately interested. I arrange for a Visa for him, and he went to Basel in Switzerland for a few days and scored 2 goals in 45 min. FC Basel has immediately proposed to him a four years contract. Moreover, since I was mandated by Cotonsport to negociate his transfert, I succeeded to get for the club the sum of 400.000 dollars, which is a pretty high amount for an african team. Zoua has made an excellent first season and had been called up for the national team to attend the world cup. Unfortunately for him, he had a injury during the last game of the swiss championship. I would tell you more about Aboubakar Vincent story in my next post.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you have a big responsibility in your hands, but at the same time I bet this job gives you great satisfactions. Knowing that you will help somebody succeed in their career creates a good feeling. Especially young people like Zoua. Good for you hopefully you can find your next talent soon.

    ReplyDelete